Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Two Out of Five Ain't Bad - Part 2

In the time I had spent checking out the condition of the people in the little red car, a few other people had stopped to help. The traffic passing the scene was slowing right down, and one gentleman was asking if any passing motorists had a cellphone (This was in the early days, hardly anyone used them). A trucker coming by radiod in on his CB, and knowing that police and fire were on the way, I headed down the road and put my last flare out.

After what seemed a long time, a lone OPP cruiser approached from the opposite direction, and about three minutes later finally arrived on our side of the road. The officer stepped out, a younger guy, maybe 40 or so, and approached us, asking who know what was going on. The slightly freaked out tow truck driver who was first at the scene immediately went into an excited babble, and I had to interject.

"I didn't see it officer, but I can tell you what's up." I said. He seemed relieved, and approached me, ignoring the babbling man.

"Three occupants of the pickup are right over there, being taken care of by his wife." I said pointing to the guy again, "Apart from shock, they seem okay, but he has lost it a bit I'm afraid."

"Yeah, I was getting that...." the officer replied.

"unfortunately, the pickup has crushed a car underneath it, if you want to follow me. Both occupants are dead."

"Okay, got it, how did you determine that?" He had his flashlight out, and we started in the direction of the front of the truck.

"Well the passenger had no pulse, and was totally non-responsive." I replied.

The officer paused. "And the driver?"

I thought for a moment "...Based on visual observation." I replied quietly.

We had reached the front end of the truck, and he cast the light toward the side of the car, and checked on the passenger. Then he knelt down, and looked further inside. It surprised me actually, when he turned around and vomited, but then I suddenly realized that cops probably didn't take a course on "how not to react naturally when presented with the horiffic aftermath of a collision". I gave him a bit of room, and turned back toward the embankment. He joined me quickly.

"Almost twenty years" he said "and I have never seen anything that bad." He started up the hill, a bit unsteady, and I put my hand on his shoulder to guide him and help him up.

"Thanks." He said, reaching the top.

"That's okay. I spent at least twice as long puking down there than you did," I replied. He laughed, and at that moment we could see the flashers of the fire rescue vehicles, and ambulance, heading toward the scene.

About fifteen minutes after that, after giving my statement, I continued the drive to Waterloo.

No comments: